"Unfinished"

While studying for the midterm in my Chaucer and Medieval lit. class, I stumbled across a document in "My Documents" titled "Unfinished." I had apparently written a poem a year ago and saved it to be edited at a later time. It has no true structure and was just my thoughts at the time. I can't say it's very good either, but a part of me likes it. I had just been introduced to the poetic genius of Walt Whitman in my American poetry class. I guess you can say that this introduction changed the way I thought about poetry. Although my form does not resemble Whitman's, I'd still like to think he inspired this "Unfinished" poem...if you can even call it a poem.

She was introverted extrovert.
Almost egocentric to the detail.
“Tell me plain,” said she.
And yet it was he, that changed her mind.
“There is beauty in the metaphor,” he said,
“Perfection in the symbol you cannot but examine
And find yourself in.”

She wanted to be great
But would her greatest suffice?

A Grand Finale of words.
Built in.
But she savored her greatest
For later

Inspire me,
Amaze me,
Astonish me,
Put me in an exclamation
Of awe.

I prefer not to see the world as my canvas
But as an artwork already made.
Mine for the dissecting
Mine for the analyzing
Mine for the taking.

1 Comment:

  1. Wandering Poet said...
    I enjoyed what is being said here, particularly the conversation piece at the beginning.

    There are contrasting views, yet in both there are chances to "inspire."

    I also loved you have identified that you don't think of life as a canvas. This would people think that, well...you aren't painting your future? However you cleverly settle this in the last line "MINE FOR THE TAKING!" ha, settling any doubts of such and solidifying your stance.

Post a Comment




 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.